[RndTbl] Networking over home power lines

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 14 12:56:28 CST 2012

I imagine as well (though haven't tested or read definitively about it)
that the signal can't go from one leg (one "hot") to the other.  A 240V
service has 2 legs, 2 hots, with a common neutral which is the center
tap from the transformer, so each hot is 120V relative to neutral. A
breaker panel usually has alternating groups of two breakers on each
leg, e.g. 1 & 2 on the red, 3 & 4 on the black, and so on.  I don't
think the signal would go from an outlet on breaker 1 or 2 to one on 3
or 4.  Similarly, when going from one building to another on the same
transformer, you may need to experiment to find outlets on the same leg
of the transformer in both buildings.

I too am interested in how this works out.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail:<grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/