[RndTbl] Shaw DHCP weirdness or attack?

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Wed Dec 5 12:08:17 CST 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Trevor Cordes <trevor at tecnopolis.ca> wrote:

The packet is 50.72.224.1:67 to 255.255.255.255:68, 308 bytes

But is it to your MAC address or not?

> So my guess now is probably some nitwit has a DHCP server working the
> Shaw network side rather than their internal side?  Or maybe a
> deliberate hack attempt to hand out bogus IPs?

The router is probably not the DHCP server, it's just the forwarder for a
backend management system. My guess is that our AsustekC friend is making a
request with a strange option 81 that's being blindly copied in the
response and since DHCP is a broadcast at this point, you're seeing it.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/