[RndTbl] Load average under RHEL 6.x systems?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 12 10:26:58 CDT 2012

On 2012-04-11 18:37, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Other semi-random questions: Any processes in uninterruptible sleep?

Nothing unusual...  There will be the occasional process in a disk-wait
state, but on an idle host, I don't see much of that.  As I said, top
and iotop aren't showing much activity at all.

Some I/O will be over NFS, which may cause longer-than-usual disk-wait
states, but there aren't any critical files (e.g. binaries or shared
libraries) that are over NFS.  I don't think I'm seeing any more NFS
activity than on previous system versions; in fact, it should be less,
since some stuff that I used to share via NFS (like
/usr/local/{bin,lib}) isn't anymore.

> What kind of video cards do the systems have?

It varies...  The workstations are almost all Intel i5's with
"Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Clarkdale" (i810 driver).
Servers are mostly AMD64 processors with ATI Mach64 or Radeon graphics
chipsets.

In any case, I'm seeing this sort of load pattern whether or not I'm
running the Xorg server, so I don't think it's related to video chipsets.

> Anything weird in /proc/interrupts?

Not really...  All h/w interrupts seem reasonable.  (I've already gone
through PowerTop recommendations, and did some sysctl tweaking to reduce
these.)  Local timer (LOC) and rescheduling (RES) interrupt counts are
the highest, but I think that's normal.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/