[RndTbl] CIRA caching ancient glue records.

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Sun Apr 1 12:53:21 CDT 2012

I'm having a strange issue (for a couple years) in that when my NS server change IPs (once every 2-3 years as I change ISPs) CIRA doesn't change it's glue records accordingly.

For instance... I move my NS servers ns1 and ns2 and of course their IPs change..
	ns1.domain.ca	172.16.101.1
	ns2.domain.ca	172.16.101.2

I will log into my registrar and try and have them update the zone (the two registrars I use have different behaviour).

After a day or so I can see the whois info changes yet the OLD IPs for ns1 and ns2 persist.

To get around this I have to come up with 'new' names for the DNS servers...

I've so far used up:
	ns1,ns2.$domain
	a.ns,b.ns.$domain
	dnsa,dnsb.$domain
	nsa,nsb.$domain

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can ask cira to just flush all glue records so I can go back to my preferred NS names?
Taking out this root domain nerfs about a dozen other domains.

I'm about to just start chosing random strings for the NS server names but it is a bit much to ask folks to update their NS to joiafjsdpfoij.$domain.com. :P

This behaviour persists across multiple .ca registrars which leads me to believe something at CIRA is not being reset properly (ie. when registrar does a zone update they are not requesting a flush or something...).

I suppose I _could_ try moving my root domain to another registrar but again that will take me offline yet again and induce another bout of DNS rage.

--
Sean
P.S. Support at either canreg or domainsatcost has not been _any_ help so far.