[RndTbl] FW: CIRA consultation on accented domain names

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Sep 22 23:27:42 CDT 2011

CIRA, the .ca domain registrar, is proposing to allow a restricted subset of IDNs (Internationalized Domain Names) in order to support accented French characters in domain names.

If you speak or write in French, this will likely affect you at some point.  If you use any .ca domain names, this may still affect you, although probably in less direct ways.

Speaking only on my own behalf (specifically: MUUG does not currently have an official position on the matter), I encourage anyone who cares about our national ccTLD to review the information CIRA has made available, form an opinion, and voice your opinion promptly.

IMHO, this is even more important than voting – if we choose poorly in an election, we have the opportunity to collectively change our minds in five years or less (usually four), whereas the CIRA IDN policy is likely to affect Canadians and Canada itself for decades to come.  There’s no automatic reconsultation in four years, and there’s no built-in review process for decisions taken by NGOs like CIRA.  In fact, once a decision like this is made, there may be no recourse at all if we collectively decide we don’t like the result.

It’s obvious to me that CIRA is expecting to make a tidy sum of money by doing this (otherwise I believe they would be taking a different direction altogether), which I believe is OK as long as the internet-using-public’s interests are still served.  I already have an opinion on the matter, and I’ll be making a submission.

CIRA is effectively an NGO [I can’t tell what their legal status is right now], and they’re voluntarily doing the right thing by consulting the public – they’re not obligated to do so – but that consultation process is only effective if CIRA members express their opinions.

Please express your opinion.

-Adam Thompson

 <mailto:athompso at athompso.net> athompso at athompso.net