[RndTbl] UNIX command transcript with canned input, echoed in output?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 25 14:16:48 CST 2011

On 2011-11-25 14:07, Bill Reid wrote:
> I think the TCL expect package might do the trick. It simulates a person
> entering text in a terminal session. The command and output are intermix
> as you want.

I though about "expect", but figured that it might be a bit too
low-level, and more complicated, than what I'm looking for.  This has to
be easy enough for novice UNIX users to use.  (It's essentially to run a
test suite on their programs, written in Prolog.  Yikes!)

I'm also not very familiar with actually coding for "expect" (though
I've tweaked other people's expect scripts, and at least know a bit
about how to use it), and the prof is not at all familiar with it.

Would it be easy to write an expect script to do what I want?  (I.e.
feed the input from a file, line-by-line, to a program, and collect all
the output, including tty echo, into a file?)

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/