[RndTbl] Wifi extender

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Nov 1 10:52:58 CDT 2011

I've had decent success by combining this router:

http://www.pricebat.ca/whr-hp-g300n-buffalo-nfiniti-wireless-n-essential-high-power/

with this external antenna:

http://www.pricebat.ca/tl-ant2409a-tp-link-2-4ghz-9dbi-outdoor-antenna/

over a distance of over 200 feet.  I don't know if you could do 400 feet
without having two of these antennas pointed at each other.  (I just
used one of these, aimed at the standard omni-directional dipoles of the
other router.)  This was about the cheapest commercial high-gain antenna
I could find this summer.  Anything else would likely require
time/effort to build your own or more cash to buy pre-made.

The Buffalo Technology router runs the dd-wrt software out of the box,
so it's really flexible to set up in various modes.  I set it up in
wireless client mode, and added a virtual AP, which sets up a separate
NAT subnet from the hosting subnet to which it connects.  That's all you
need for Internet access, but if you need both buildings to be on the
same LAN with the same pool of IP addresses, the setup will be a little
more complex.  Still do-able in dd-wrt, but it may require the same or
similar routers on both ends for this setup to work (based on what I
read this summer, but I never actually attempted it).

Good luck.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/