[RndTbl] IPv6

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Thu May 12 15:51:17 CDT 2011

IPv6 has a 'site-local' reservation as well but that us going out of favor for what I have read.
There is no functional reason to have an private unroutable network when the 'standard' allocation range is so gigantic making NAT unnecessary.  Your routers and firewall ACL will effectively make it private if you so configure.

NAT isn't a security feature or design tool.  It is a work around for lack of adressable space.

The one feature of ipv6 that blew me away was that with The auto configured link local space the address chosen is based on the MAC address of the host.  If you ever had to reverse an errant 169.X prefix on your LAN this could be very handy and makes auto configure networks a he'll of a lot more deterministic with respect to address provisioning.

--
Sean (mobile)