[RndTbl] Missing disk device

Robert Keizer robert at keizer.ca
Tue May 3 13:27:19 CDT 2011

I would figure out the major and minor numbers of that device, based
on what the other ones are, then use mknod to create it.

Unless there's something really crazy going on, those devices should
be in order, meaning you can just increment the numbers.

A "ls -alh /dev | grep sda" gives the following:
brw-rw----   1 root disk      8,   0 May  3 13:18 sda
brw-rw----   1 root disk      8,   1 May  3 13:19 sda1
brw-rw----   1 root disk      8,   2 May  3 13:18 sda2
brw-rw----   1 root disk      8,   5 May  3 13:18 sda5

Where 8 is the major number, and 0 is the minor number for sda. Be
sure to specify a block device rather than a character one when using
mknod.. I made that mistake and got something crazy at one point.

Hope this helps,
Rob