[RndTbl] vsftp not connecting

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Tue Mar 22 13:54:44 CDT 2011

SSH also allows tunnels to be created both ways over the same channel. And
since it's encrypted, nobody would know that's going on. That scares me a
lot more than usernames and passwords being exposed. That can be mitigated
by protecting the payload. Or maybe the two parties have a VPN. Or maybe the
value of the information is inconsequential.

I don't know what went into their decision and what security concerns they
have, but I wouldn't immediately discount their security team based on that
decision alone. As Bruce Schneier said, "If you think encryption will solve
your problem, you don't understand your problem and you don't understand
encryption."

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/