[RndTbl] vsftp not connecting

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:43:01 CDT 2011

I should mention that the vsftp log file shows things like
Tue Mar 22 12:32:32 2011 [pid 2] CONNECT: Client "192.168.99.86"
Tue Mar 22 12:32:41 2011 [pid 1] [zaphod] FAIL LOGIN: Client "192.168.99.86"

So the connection is clearly being made, but I don't know what the
authentication is doing. In /etc/pam.d/vsftp is
# Standard behaviour for ftpd(8).
auth    required        pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed

# Note: vsftpd handles anonymous logins on its own. Do not enable
pam_ftp.so.

# Standard pam includes
@include common-account
@include common-session