[RndTbl] rsync update in RHEL 5 is broken

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jul 27 15:08:27 CDT 2011

Just a heads-up for anyone running RHEL 5 or a clone (CentOS or SL).
The latest update to rsync, version 3.0.6-4.el5, may break any backup
scripts you have that rely on the remotehost:remotedir notation to
access systems via ssh.  Red Hat's package for this includes a patch
that breaks this unless you prepend the username@ part before the host
name.  I had that nasty surprise this morning after yesterday's update.

Your options are to alter your backup scripts to use the user at host:dir
notation, or to exclude this update until they release a fixed version.
  If you've already installed the update, "yum downgrade rsync" seemed
to do the trick to revert to the 2.6.8-3.1 version on my SL 5.6 systems.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/