[RndTbl] Solaris 10 newbie question

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri Feb 11 11:34:05 CST 2011

On 2011-02-10 20:10, Daryl F wrote:
> Slight correction below...
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Daryl F wrote:
>> 2 always represents the whole disk, for backups, so do use it although it
>                                                         ^^
>                                                       do not
>> might work in this case.

I would think that, since he plans to use the whole disk as one slice,
it would be entirely appropriate to use slice 2.

>> Everything but 2 is just by convention so it's really up to you if you are
>> going to put the whole disk in one slice.

And certainly, any slice number above 2 is fairly loosely defined, and
could be used for pretty much any purpose.

It's been a _long_ time since I did any manual formatting of disks under
Solaris, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  (Particularly if
you'll be using ZFS, which might have its own conventions.)

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/