[RndTbl] slowing httpd access to cgi-bin scripts

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Sep 17 16:08:00 CDT 2010

Every once in a while, some doofus points a web crawler at our web site
and, ignoring the disallowed areas in our robots.txt file, starts
crawling through some of our cgi-bin scripts at a rate of 4 to 8 hits a
second.  This is particularly annoying with some of the more processor
and disk intensive CGI programs, such as man2html, which also happens to
generate lots of links back to itself.

Is there anything I can set up in Apache to throttle back and slow down
remote hosts when they start hitting hard on cgi-bin?  I don't want to
do anything that would adversely affect legitimate users, nor make
important things like the manual pages hard to find by removing any
public links to them.  But when a client starts making 10 or more GET
requests on /cgi-bin in a 5 second period, it would be nice if I could
get the server to progressively add longer and longer delays before
servicing these requests, to keep the load down and prevent the server
from thrashing.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
Gilles