[RndTbl] Mac as a web server

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:49:25 CDT 2010

On 10-09-15 03:16 PM, Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I don't know if this is much of a help, but you can easily run Linux on a G4
> Mac. I'm running it as a personal server at home on an ancient G4 laptop.
> Debian in particular is particularly apathetic to CPUs, you just put in the
> CD and install as if it were any other kind of computer, which is why I use
> it on my PowerPC "personal server" machines... well, also because Debian
> simply kicks a$$.
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.6/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-506-powerpc-netinst.iso

	That's an option I will absolutely consider. Since it's a G4 there
isn't the problem with "new world" vs "old world" Macs. I didn't think
it would be that easy.

> Sorry if this is just ignoring everything you're trying to do, but I figured
> it was worth a mention. :) - I'm afraid you'll always have problems running
> the most recent versions of PHP/Apache/MySQL on a PowerPC Mac OS X
> installation unless you compile them from source, but I'm not sure how
> problematic that would be on Mac OS X in general. Apple tends to fiddle
> around a lot with the environment and GCC, often resulting in broken
> compilations from source, so I'm guessing you're up for a lot of long-term
> problems sticking to Mac OS 10.4.

	I was able to compile some software on my Mac Mini. So compilation is a
possibility.

> Long story short, if losing Mac OS X is indeed an option, Debian is
> definitely the way to go with a PowerPC machine.

	I'm not really set on OS X but I'd like to see if I can exhaust the
most reasonable possibilities first. You know how these things are... I
am eventually going to be asked how to do it that way.

	With Debian I can apt-get install from source.

> Hope it helps and apologies if it doesn't. ;)

	It does. I suspect this is what I am most likely to do in the end. If
not on this machine then certainly on another.

> Kind regards,
> Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson
> helgi at binary.is

				Later