[RndTbl] wireless N router recommendations?

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Sep 3 10:01:02 CDT 2010

Thanks, Kevin and Steve.  I would consider trying alternate firmware, or
even looking for a Linksys firmware upgrade, if I suspected the firmware
was the problem.  But I have a 54G v8, not a 54GL or 54G v1-4, so the
Linux-based firmware isn't likely to work with this.  I had a 54G v5
before this v8 model, and there was a reliability issue with it that was
solved by a firmware upgrade.  But that model packed it in a couple
years ago, and the v8 that I got to replace it hasn't been as solid as
the v5 was (at least before it packed it in).  I did upgrade the Linksys
firware on it once last year, and that didn't seem to make a difference,
though it might be worth another look.

I was just hoping for something a little faster, with better range, and
hopefully a little more reliable, for a reasonable cost.  The D-Link 655
still sounds like it'll be worth a shot, though from what I heard on
this forum I realize I shouldn't get my hopes up too high as far as the
speed improvement is concerned.

Thanks again,
Gilles

--