[RndTbl] eSATA

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon May 31 21:20:42 CDT 2010

The eSATA speed should, all other things being equal, be identical to internal SATA.

Beware that unless your ports are explicitly eSATA, they likely won't handle hot plugging properly.  (i.e. You can connect your onboard SATA ports to eSATA adapter brackets - and this will generally work - but they don't magically support all the "e" aspects unless designed to do so; some are, some aren't.)

Also if you want to use any kind of multi-bay enclosure, the host ports must explicitly support SATA Multipliers (multiplexers?) or you won't be able to access any of the drives in that enclosure reliably.

-Adam