[RndTbl] software-based firewall appliance - opinions?

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Tue Mar 30 11:34:06 CDT 2010

My vote is on pfSense.
Extremely slick and makes configuring even complicated stuff like CARP reasonably straight forward.
I find the logo itself ugly but the web UI is very slick.

Big thumbs up and my best suggestion for those less inclined to dive into OpenBSD head first (yes I'm aware pfSense is FreeBSD based). :P

On 2010-03-29, at 7:44 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:

> I'm looking for an "appliance-style" software firewall distribution.
> Appliance as in I don't want to just do a general OS install, because
> non-technical users will have to do some administration of it at a later
> date.
>
> Short list so far:
> BSDRP
> m0n0wall
> pfSense
> SmoothWallVyatta
> Core
>
> One key problem is that I expect to need 802.1Q VLAN tagging support,
> which is why I'm not installing a Linksys WRT54G as the "firewall".  I
> also want at least a rudimentary GUI, as it won't always be technical
> people who need to make changes to the firewall configuration.
>
> I'd love to hear from you if you've used any of the above.
>
> -Adam Thompson
> <athompso at athompso.net>
> (204) 291-7950

Sean