[RndTbl] My MySQL battle

Sean Walberg swalberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:20:35 CDT 2010

The default for mysql clients is to connect with no password. Your
first command connects with no password, and sends commands to change
the password. Don't confuse the parameters you're sending with the
ones you're supposed to send to connect with a password.

To connect with a password, pass "-p" on the command line to have the
client prompt for the password, or do the longopt
"--password=MYPASSWORD"

eg

$ mysqladmin -u root -p somecommand somearg
Enter password:

or

$ mysqladmin -u root --password='abc123' somecommand somearg

Sean

Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/