[RndTbl] firewall/router in a VM

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Mar 15 12:34:57 CDT 2010

On 2010-03-15 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> This ASUS board seems to support ECC:
> http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23640(ME).aspx
>
> <http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23640(ME).aspx>I think
> all AMD CPUs, even low-end ones, support it via the on-chip memory
> controller (unlike Intel); I don't know what it takes, if anything,
> to support ECC on the motherboard if the CPU/memory-controller does.
> Anyway, they don't seem to be hard to find in the AMD arena.

Hmm, the sites do seem to suggest it does ECC.  Though I've learned in
the past that sometimes even sites/manuals/bios's that say ECC, do not
do ECC!

If it does do ECC, perhaps it is because these are AMD chipsets, and
not NV or ATI.  That would make sense as the real AMD ones are usually
better.  Most of the AMD-compatible mobos you see these days are NV or
ATI.

So perhaps there is a cheap(er) way to get ECC than Intel-based
workstation boards.  However, based on past experience I'd be loathe to
switch to AMD from Intel.  No flame war here, just cold hard experience
selling these things for 11 years.  If AMD is still giving cheap ECC,
seems to me that Intel is royally screwing up by not providing
something that can compete.

Adam?