[RndTbl] firewall/router in a VM

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Mar 15 10:01:32 CDT 2010

I'm really late to this discussion.  Some quick 2c's:

On 2010-02-18 Daryl F wrote:
> I think non-ECC memory should be illegal. Somebody's gonna lose an
> eye and it won't be funny any more.

Hear hear!  Considering ECC RAM sticks cost just a small fraction more
to make than non-ECC, and same with mobos(/cpus) that support ECC, why
everything isn't ECC is beyond me.  If everything was ECC, economies of
scale would kick in and the additional cost would be negligible.
Consider back in the 440BX days every board supported ECC, it boggles
the mind as to why today you must buy server/workstation (and I mean
$300 a mobo workstation) class equipment to get ECC.  The 975 was the
last "mainstream" (albeit "extreme enthusiast mainstream") Intel chipset
with ECC.  AMD fares no better.  WTF??

2 of my 3 systems are ECC, and the 3rd is mostly just used for games.

On 2010-02-19 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> While we're on the topic, what sort of desktop-PC motherboards are
> available that support ECC memory? I've never really paid attention,
> so for all I know, ECC support is common.

Ha!  As per above, no Intel/AMD desktop boards have ECC.  It's sad.

On 2010-02-19 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Kingston ValueRAM 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM ECC Kit (2 x 2GB)...or
> $40/GB at Memory Express (special order, though). Is that reasonable?
> Do people generally trust Kingston for RAM?

It's not the RAM that's the issue, it's finding a mobo to run it.  And
I trust Kingston implicitly.  I have sold nothing but Kingston RAM
since 2001.  We're talking thousands of sticks here.  I've had only
about 5 RMA's in that time, and those probably due to static
discharge.

I would never sell no-name sticks again.  Beware the peddlers of "name
brand" RAM where they are claiming the name of the DRAM manufacturer is
the name brand of the stick.  Those are crap no-name sticks.  "Name
brand" means Kingston, or OCZ, or Corsair, or similar actual branded
stick (not back-of-truck leftovers from China).

On 2010-02-19 Sean Walberg wrote:
> An interesting article about Kingston flash memory and quality, or
> lack thereof.

Don't attribute flash quality to DRAM quality.  Most flash, including
Kingston's carries only a short (1 year) warranty and is a completely
different beast than DRAM.  That said, I've sold (and used) a number of
Kingston flash without issues.  YMMV.

On 2010-02-19 Sean Cody wrote:
> Picked up a pile of drives from CBIT last year and 25% of them were
> from Thailand and their warranty's were not honoured outside of
> Asia/Pacific. Now we do warranty lookups on every drive we order.

Ah, the Primex curse strikes again.  I have yet to receive any
counterfeit parts through my distro channels.  Since I service all I
sell, I would know if drives were gray-market/non-RMAable.  If you want
guaranteed product at in general better prices than Primex^H^H^H^H^H^H
CBIT, let me know.

Ah, that reminds me of the bad ol' days when the guys at Primex were in
the back room putting NEC stickers on no-name TW crap CRT's...