[RndTbl] OT: Soldering help

Daryl F wyatt at prairieturtle.ca
Sat Mar 6 15:28:46 CST 2010

The iron isn't hot enough. The pad is probably conducting the heat away
too quickly. A hotter iron is in order. Desoldering usually takes a hotter
iron and some solder wicking material to prevent component damage.

Depending on the board you will require long leads on the part when moved
the other side of the board because you will likely have to solder
underneath the part, ie; between it and the board. There may not be
sufficient pad, on the side the part was originally on, to solder to even
though the leads will come through there.

If you must solder underneath the part try to put a clip lead on the
component lead, or something similiar, between the component and the tip
of your iron.

-Daryl