[RndTbl] mount by label, a cautionary tail

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Wed Jul 21 10:30:20 CDT 2010

I was migrating some data to some new disks and since the drive letters
would be changing once the old disks were removed, I partitioned them
and gave them label names.

The original disks had labels like:

boot
srv
tmp

On the new disk I thought good names would be:
/boot
/srv
/tmp

(I think Redhat actually names things this way by default?)

Anyhow, to make a long story short, mount by label ignores the leading
slash. When the system rebooted, as predicted the drives came up in a
different order so a "mount LABEL=srv" will actually mount the first
disk named either "/srv" or "srv" which is obviously not good.

I don't know if this is just a bug or intentional.

--
John Lange
http://www.johnlange.ca