[RndTbl] Shaw dropping on greylist?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 29 11:58:43 CST 2010

On 2010-01-28 18:56, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> I have an apparent greylisting issue with Shaw.  I wonder if anyone else
> has noticed this.  Shaw's mail server appears to only try either a few
> times or for a limited amount of time and then give up.  I get lots of
> logs like the following (names have been changed to protect the guilty).
> After that, no further hits from that from address.
>
> I had my greylisting time set to 29mins, but have now changed it to 15mins
> to try to get within the Shaw window.
>
> Anyone else with a >16 min greylist delay might want to check their logs
> for similar behaviour, and/or take reports of missing emails more
> seriously.  Please report back if you see similar behaviour.

As I pointed out in another posting, I've got a maximum delay of 14
minutes on one mail server, and less elsewhere.  I don't see much to be
gained with a larger delay than that.

I'm not sure this is relevant to your problem, but we've seen another
issue with greylisting, e.g. in trying to accept mail from gmail.com
servers.  The problem there is that they don't necessarily (or even
typically) retry from the same client IP address, so auto-whitelisting
doesn't help, and you're almost always telling them to come back again
later.  We've had to whitelist entire IP ranges for gmail to get around
this problem.

In any case, there are a lot of "legit" mail servers out there that
don't seem to handle greylisting well, which is why the default
configuration with milter-greylist comes with a whole list of "broken
mta" address ranges to whitelist.  Perhaps you'll just need to do the
same for Shaw?

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/