[RndTbl] trying to set up ssh at home

Rob Guderian rob.guderian at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:02:50 CST 2010

I agree with Rob Keizer, but Mike Pfaiffer has a point. I've set up
ssh to my network a few times and it's generally the router blocking
traffic.
The best way to see if the router is blocking traffic (which it would
only do to traffic coming in from an external ip) or if it's your
install of ssh, try sshing to your machine from a different machine on
your local network. If it still doesn't work it's likely a firewall
issue on your machine.  If it makes a successful ssh connection it's
your router blocking traffic.
Your router should allow port forwarding.  Just forward port 22 to
point to your linux box... and make sure you have it set to a static
ip! I've had my machine's ip address change and ssh stops working
then!
Cheers
rob g