[RndTbl] firewall/router in a VM

Sean Walberg swalberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:48:15 CST 2010

The attacks against it that I can see:

1. As Adam pointed out, someone exploits some esoteric flaw in the
hypervisor to float packets from the outside to the inside even though
you've configured it not to (or some variant of this, such as getting the
hypervisor to listen to packets even though you've configured it not to)

2. Someone gets into the host and reconfigures one of the VMs to see the
outside NIC, too, or otherwise reconfigures the networking to do something
you didn't expect, including putting an IP stack on that interface and
exposing the hypervisor to the world.

3. Someone gets into the hypervisor and pokes and peeks directly into your
firewall.

Everything else, as you pointed out, is a problem that exists with physical
devices. And, as Adam touched on, if some of the conditions above hold true,
you may have worse things to worry about.

Back to reality. It all comes down to risk management. What is it that
you're trying to protect? Are you trying to segment off your children so
they don't look at pr0n? Are you doing it more for interest's sake? Are you
protecting the schedule of a known terrorist whom the Mossad is trying to
kill?

Each one of these has a different level of risk, and the threats above are
more or less likely. For fun and teen-purity-protection your configuration
is OK. For the last one, you're worrying about a more sophisticated
attacker.

What you're doing is going to be OK for most attacks. Doing it (properly, I
add) is not going to open any doors that would be breakable by anyone but
the most determined attacker. If that attacker were capable of the above,
then I think he's got much higher value victims out there ;)

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>    http://ertw.com/