[RndTbl] Question about Laptops

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 17:55:37 CST 2010

On 10-12-24 05:34 PM, Kevin McGregor wrote:
> A few comments:
>
> Generally anything you get for that price will be a netbook and/or a pretty
> cheap notebook. I can't see how you could spend $300 on a notebook (not
> netbook) and get anything resembling quality. I suppose there might be a
> door-crasher special that would be okay, but then you just have to take your
> chances. Acer computers tend to be EXTREMELY cheaply made.

	That seems to be the general consensus.

> A netbook would be fast enough for his needs, but the screen would probably
> be too small, either physically (all netbooks have 10" screens) or by
> resolution (pretty much all 1024x600).

	He is in his mid 70's so the size would be a consideration.

> Also, I don't know why you wrote "...Future Shop, and (Ugh) Best Buy", given
> that they're the same company since Best Buy bought Future Shop a few years
> ago. I thought everyone knew that.

	I've had a number of friends who have had terrible experiences with the
different retail outlets. Essentially it boils down to the quality of
the lies and sales drones. At least none of them have had the experience
a number of Americans had. Specifically purchasing something only to
open the box at home and find an actual brick inside. Most of the bad
experiences relate to rebates and faulty hardware. Specifically the
Transcona store. Although they are owned by the same company I've been
told by their sales drones that different managers set different
policies for their individual stores. The drones also said they carry
different product lines in the two stores.

> Kevin

				Later
				Mike