[RndTbl] usb ports

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Dec 24 16:20:16 CST 2010

On 2010-12-23 Kat wrote:
> The black plastic bit in one of my USB ports broke off.  The metal
> contacts are in there, undamaged.  The laptop thinks the port is

Be very careful.  If the wrong 2 pins touch (easy without the
protective plastic bit) you will almost certainly fry the motherboard
(completely).  I've seen a dozen desktops blown up by USB wiring &
breakage.

> It's tempting to try to fix it myself.  Is this possible?  Any advice?

Adam's correct, a new USB port could probably be obtained.  I would get
it from digikey.  Repairs like this only seem to have a 60-70% success
rate because sometimes you can't get the exact same USB port and the
trickiness of the soldering.  I do this sort of stuff all the time so
if you get stuck I could possibly help.

> I think the laptop is still on warranty, but I don't know how much of
> a PITA that would be.

They may not honor this as a warranty problem as they can point to
physical damage, unless you have the ADP type warranty (that cost
hundreds $$ extra).  Certainly worth a try as opening this case will
void whatever other warranty you have.