[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Robert Dyck rbdyck2 at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 7 19:31:21 CDT 2010

Does Windows ME have a HOSTS file? Remember this isn't Windows NT. Microsoft
Windows 2000 is just Windows NT version 5.0 with a fancy name, Windows XP is
Windows NT 5.1, Windows Vista is Windows NT version 6.0, and Windows 7 is
Windows NT version 7.0. But Windows ME is part of the Windows 9x series.

I created a short-cut (Windows version of a symbolic link) called HOSTS,
linked to LMHOSTS. I tried the same web page but found no difference in load
times at all.

My initial test was with a web page that I often visit, so there is no cache
difference between any of the tests.

I restarted my computer in case Windows was loading the HOSTS file into
memory, tried the same test and found no difference either.

Rob Dyck