[RndTbl] Learning a little about /etc/hosts

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 16:27:51 CDT 2010

On 10-08-07 03:43 PM, Sean Walberg wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Mike Pfaiffer<high.res.mike at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>> BTW, why are you blocking Amazon S3?
>>
>>          It was appearing as an ad server when chromium was loading an
>> unrelated
>> web page. Besides I don't order anything from Amazon. I thought the
>> domain was actually amazonaws.com and unrelated to Amazon...
>>

> S3 is Amazon's "disk in the cloud" offering. Many people store static assets
> on S3 and use it as a cheap CDN. There might be some ads there, but there's
> more likely to be someone storing the images on their blog there, too. It
> would be like blocking everything under google.com because you don't like
> seeing adsense content network ads.

	Oh. That makes sense. I would guess since they would be loading
external images from there blocking the original ad server would suffice.

> I probably should have mentioned this in my original response, but fscking
> around with the hosts file is generally a bad idea. If you want to block
> ads, run the adblock plugin.

	That's already included in Firefox isn't it? Then I already have that
running. Unfortunately Firefox doesn't always block up popups. It will
get about 80% of them but the additional 20% can be just as annoying.
Then there are the banner ads too. The increase in speed by blocking
just a few of their servers is noticeable.

> Sean

				Later
				Mike