[RndTbl] Cameras

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Fri Aug 6 02:55:37 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-05 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to get decent (but
> reasonably priced) IP cameras with day/night vision (IR)? I've seen
> some for $100-$120. No need for pan/tilt/zoom or wireless.

It depends.  Most cameras in the $100 range are just glorified web cams
with low resolutions, poor optics, and inferior (and often higher
bandwidth) encoding.  I know, because about 15% of my business is now
architecing/installing IP surveillance cam solutions.

After using a lot of different cams, and dealing with psuedo-IP cams
that a lot of companies around here sell (analog cams with a
computer-type backend), I can safely say that the best I've seen so far
are from DLink.  But they're not cheap.

The DCS-3410 is the new, best night-cam.  It doesn't use IR, but you
can change out the lens for an IR one (haven't tried it).  However, it
uses intelligent algorithms and a super sensitive lux rating.  For
instance, when it's very dark, it switches to B&W mode for improved
clarity.
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=679

However, I've found that in pitch or near-pitch black scenarios it
still isn't enough.  Best to install some small lights somewhere (which
can be IR activated).

I always set up the motion detection and record only on motion.  That's
a great feature.  This model can also send FTP and email snapshots on
motion, and write directly to a SMB share without using their ok (but
not great) Windows client software.  There is even a heated/vented
weather-proof housing available for outdoor use.

Back to the point about cheap cams, the cheap DLinks, Linksys, nonames
(and analog fake-IP ones) have all proven very disappointing with
intolerable limitations.  Think about what you really need out of it
before wasting money.