[RndTbl] squid caching of Windblows Updates

Robert Dyck rbdyck2 at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 15 07:32:40 CDT 2010

The organization I work for is wants to set up a proxy server for Windows
updates. We work with older computers, XP and 2000. We have a server
available, and a couple of us want to use Ubuntu server. The individual who
suggested a proxy server also suggested Squid. Great ideas. Do you have any
recommendations to setup Squid for Windows 2000 and version of IE that will
run on it?

Trevor, you offered to send your entire squid.conf file; could I get that
please?

Also, my college suggested getting software to make the server a router,
while I had considered getting a hardware router and just configuring the
server as a proxy server. Any recommendations about topology or software?

Thanks,
Rob Dyck

Ps. I'm the guy who was trying to set up a server using CRUX. The problem
was an error message "Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program might be
trying access hardware directly" causing the kernel to panic trap. Never was
able to get past that. So I gave up, instead installed Ubuntu 9.10 server.
It was smooth; from start of download to complete up-and-running system was
a single day.