[RndTbl] auto-IP

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Thu Nov 19 21:43:10 CST 2009

On November 19, 2009 06:00:46 pm Dan Martin wrote:
> I recently purchased HDHomeRun, a dual TV tuner that connects via
> ethernet.  The idea of it is to be able to stream video content to any
> machine on your network.

The support section of the silicondust website has some instructions for
setting up with MythTV:
   http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/instructions/mythtv
which mention a Linux utility that they distribute: hdhomerun_config.

The Ubuntu Community Documentation page for the HDHomeRun
   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun
says that "hdhomerun_config discover" will dump out the unit's device ID and IP
number.

So, if you have a Linux computer somewhere else on the network, you might be
able to use it to find out what IP the HDHomerun thinks it has.

Here's a MythTV thread about HDHomeRun and static networks, which makes it
sound difficult:

However, the last note in this thread seems to claim that your Mac can become
a DHCP server for the HDHomerun, just by turning on Internet Sharing.  That's
news to me.
    http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=101362