[RndTbl] Parts?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Nov 2 20:48:31 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 20:43, Kevin McGregor <kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm going to mod my WRT54GL to use power over Ethernet, and I need some
> good quality wire. I was going to use some from the wiring harness of an old
> power supply (e.g. AT, ATX), but I don't have any around I can cannibalize.
> Does anyone else have something I can use? Or a suggestion?
> Kevin

Yup.  Cut up a crummy patch cord.  Dollarama sells 3' patch cords for $1.
 Since PoE runs over Cat5 (by definition) you know that any Cat5 cable is
automatically sufficient for your purposes.  And as a bonus, most Cat5 patch
cords are stranded with wire that's fairly easily twistable, tinnable and
solderable.  Extra bonus, it's usually fine enough and pliable enough that
you can route it pretty much anywhere.  If you're only running power over
it, don't worry about preserving the twist or the outer jacket - each wire
internally has regular insulation.  The only downside is that sometimes the
wire is so fine it's hard to work with your fingers.

--
-Adam Thompson
<athompso at athompso.net>