[RndTbl] Nagios front ends

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri May 15 20:53:28 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 17:34, B.Wolfe <obwolfe at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Has anyone got any experience using Front ends for configuring/managing
> nagios? Any recommendations/suggestions?  Thanks in advance for the
> thoughts.

I used Groundwork to replace a pre-existing Nagios installation.  It's
definitely a step up from editing Nagios config files directly, but I
certainly wouldn't call it intuitive or even easy to use.  It's gone through
an entire major revision bump since then, though, so I don't know how much
it's improved.
I will note that while it greatly simplified many aspects of Nagios
configuration, it does add another entire layer of software which ups the
overall complexity of the system.  And it doesn't particularly like you
manually fuding the config files it manages.

Other than that, I moved fairly quickly from Groundwork to Zenoss because I
couldn't stand the configuration paradigm underlying Nagios.  (Then I found
out how complex and confusing Zenoss was, but oh well...)

--
-Adam Thompson
<athompso at athompso.net>