[RndTbl] Linux to SCO telnet?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon May 4 23:39:38 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 09:42, John Lange <john at johnlange.ca> wrote:

> Does anyone have a quick way to make Linux telnet work with SCO?
>
> Apparently SCO uses something called SCOANSI? Mostly it seems to be
> compatible but any of the SCO menu driven stuff is unreadable and
> backspace is broken.

As Sean said, using Ctrl-H might work instead of the "Backspace" key; in
either case you can also use stty(1) on the SCO system to make it adapt to
whatever ASCII sequence your Backspace key sends.
If the Backspace key works at the command line but not inside other programs
(vi, for example) then you'll need to escape it:
   stty erase <Ctrl-V><Backspace>
will generally work.  If on the other hand hitting Backspace at the command
prompt simply displays a control sequence of some sort, then
   stty erase <Backspace>
should be sufficient.  As of that point, the backspace key should function
normally.

As to the menu-driven stuff, you're largely going to be S.O.L. unless it's
actually termcap/terminfo-driven.  In which case, your best bet would be to
use an xterm, not the Linux console as I don't know of any SCO systems that
have a termcap entry that matches the Linux console...

Best option I can think of for compatability if you need true SCOANSI would
be to tunnel X by SSHing to the SCO system and run "scoterm" or "dtterm"
(typically found in /usr/dt/bin, IIRC) one of which should provide full
emulation.  Or run a Windows terminal emulator that supports SCOANSI under
WINE :-)

--
-Adam Thompson
<athompso at athompso.net>