[RndTbl] Roundtable Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2

Kat uniquegeek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 12:50:43 CST 2009

I bought a LaCiE drive last year and from what I gathered most external USB
drives are preformatted as FAT32.  I'd recommend using FAT32 if there's any
chance you'll do something like dragging it over to a friend who is using
Windows.

I keep mine plugged in at home all the time.  I've noticed rarely (once
every few months), I'll try to use Amarok or Kaffeine, but it can't find the
file.  If I open up the drive in some sort of file manager, it's enough of a
kick in the pants that Amarok realizes that the drive is actually connected.

Transfers tend to be slow.  I came across this post by accident a while ago
(which I haven't really investigated yet):

'I had the odd Linux version mount external FAT32-drives (USB sticks) with
some crappy mount parameters that it would have been quicker to write the
data on the HD with my own hands - yes, literally.

So if you happen to use Linux..

Try mounting the external FAT drive without the "sync" option, i.e. with

"mount -o async".

But you'll have to remember to umount the external device manually before
removing it; sometimes a lot of the writing happens only delayed at the time
of umounting - at least it did sometimes with my SuSEs.'