[RndTbl] The SPARC is dead

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Jun 18 13:21:53 CDT 2009

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?sub=true&id=53588

The SPARC is dead, long live Sun... uh, I mean Oracle...

*sigh*
Another half-decent chip architecture bites the dust.  PA-RISC.  AXP.
MIPS.  PPC.  SPARC.
(OK, I know PA-RISC got rolled into IA64... which is nearly dead, itself.
And PPC is still alive and well in embedded platforms; I figure IBM's POWER
chips have about the same life expectancty as HP's IA64.)

So when the dust settles, we'll be left with, what, x86-64 - which it'd be
almost more accurate to say *happened* than was *designed*; PowerPC -
carefully hidden under the hood, à la Cell processor or in millions of
devices; and ARM - also carefully hidden under the hood.

Have I missed anything?  Are there *any* chip architectures out there other
than x86 that aren't dying or dead *in the public's mind*?

--
-Adam Thompson
<athompso at athompso.net>