[RndTbl] Interesting effect - Looks like it's ready to go folks

Mike Pfaiffer high.res.mike at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:43:15 CST 2009

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 06:39 PM, Mike Pfaiffer wrote:
>>     It seems zenity won't display if a different user is logged in. For
>> example running it as a single line from /etc/rc.local won't bring up a
>> popup. It may not have worked well with at either. Does anyone have a
>> suggestion which works well with at and can be called from
>> /etc/rc.local? I have everything else working for the public access box.
>> Just not the notification. I figure we can leave the notification
>> routing for a week and just post a note.
>
> Is it not working because DISPLAY is unset, or some other reason?
>
> Try adding --display=:0.0 to the zenity arguments.

	That did the trick. Thank you. The cool thing is because rc.local is
executed as soon as it goes into mode 5 the message and shut down occur
regardless. Even if nobody logsin or if they logout and login again. The
only way around it is to reboot. That is so obvious other people will
notice. Plus it does pretty much the same thing we wanted anyway.

	I'm sure this will be of no interest to the "*NIX heavyweights" of the
group. For everybody else here is the code I plan to add to the machine...

*****
rm -rf /home/guest
cp /root/guest.tar /home
cd /home
tar -xvf guest.tar
rm guest.tar
cd -
echo 'zenity --info --display=:0.0 --text="This computer will
automatically turn off in five minutes." --width=150' | at now +25 minutes
echo 'shutdown -h now' | at now +30 minutes
*****

	This presumes a pre-existing guest account which has had its home
directory tarred to guest.tar. Then the tar file is stored in the
(inaccessible to unprivileged users) /root directory.

	Incidentally the zenity line is all one line. the line before uses the
dash/minus sign to return to the previous directory.

	I may also have to tweak the width a little.

> Peter

	Thanks again everybody.

				Later
				Mike