[RndTbl] Vmware and Ubuntu 8.04 (vmware tools install)

Montana Quiring montanaq at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:29:10 CDT 2009

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice on this.

I'm using the latest Vmware Fusion on a Mac.
In a VM image I've installed Ubuntu 8.4 Remix (it's the one that Dell
tweaked for the Dell Mini's)
The next step was to install the vmware tools since I had no networking...
When I run:
sudo ./vmware-install.pl
...the install ticks along OK until I get to this point:
<SNIP>
None of the pre-built vmmemctl modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmemctl module
for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
[yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16/include

The path "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16/include" is a kernel header file
directory, but it does not contain the file "linux/version.h" as expected.
This can happen if the kernel has never been built, or if you have invoked the
"make mrproper" command in your kernel directory.  In any case, you may want to
rebuild your kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
</SNIP>

NOTE: I had to copy across (on a USB flash drive) and install the
header files as they weren't already there (from what I could find)

I've started the process of preparing to recompile the kernel, but got
stuck in deb package hell trying to satisfy the dependancies of
build-essential

Can anyone offer any advice about how to get networking working, as
that would make getting everything else working easier.

--
-Montana
Blog: