[RndTbl] Request Tracker

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Sep 8 13:06:47 CDT 2008

The docs indicate, as far as I recall, that you should not edit the existing
pages directly, rather you should put a copy into a site-local directory
(whose location escapes me at the moment, sorry) and make your changes
there.  And yes, apache (i.e.mod-perl) or any FastCGI handlers should be
restarted after making changes.  There's a configuration variable mentioned
towards the end of the RT config file that is described as turning on a
check for reloaded pages on every request, but also having a horrible
performance impact.  This might be adequate for what you're doing, I don't
know.I know of one technique that you can use, if restarting the webserver
is a problem because it's a production server - use a second HTTP server,
even FastCGI's trivial http daemon mode, on a different port - and then
configure the production webserver to reverse-proxy that set of pages to the
other webserver (that's local).  Two copies of apache work, or one copy of
(say) apache, and one of lighttpd, or really any combination of a) a web
server that supports reverse-proxying, and b) a web server that supports
listening on 127.0.0.1:not_80.  The second webserver can thus be restarted
over and over again without impacting any other production services running
on the primary web server.
-Adam