[RndTbl] Interesting articles on e-mail blunders, spam research, and anti-phishing education

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Oct 28 16:33:49 CDT 2008

Further to my presentation on fighting spam (at the October MUUG
meeting), I just read an IT World Canada article called "Top 10 e-mail
blunders of 2008"...

http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/Docbase/ViewArticle.aspx?id=idgml-0a1c74ca-57ba-466c&Portal=252cc78a-a947-4072-84be-f50cac8ec48e&sub=376410

Following a link about backscatter messages in that article, I came
across an article from last year (from the same site), about some spam
research projects that are in the works...

http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/Docbase/ViewArticle.aspx?title=&ID=idgml-b917ef43-6c70-4c3a-99ff-e1a2628da8c5&lid=

This article had numerous links to other interesting articles, among
them this one on anti-phishing education (from a sister publication)...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/100807-real-antiphishing-education.html

Finally, this article mentioned an interesting project at CMU, where
they developed an online game called Anti-Phishing Phil as a teaching
tool.  Here's a link to the game, if you want to get to the goods
directly...

http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/antiphishing_phil/

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>