[RndTbl] Can't send to gmail. 451 4.5.0 SMTP protocol violation see RFC 2821

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 13 15:35:48 CST 2008

On 2008-11-12 17:53, Sean Walberg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Gilbert E. Detillieux
> <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca <mailto:gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>> wrote:
>
>      > 451 4.5.0 SMTP protocol violation see RFC 2821
>
>     Usually, an error message like that would suggest something is messed up
>     in the MTA configuration at one end or the other.  Did you bother to
>     check this site for likely possibilities?...
>
>     http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/rfcs/rfc2821.php
>
> Which one of the 79 pages do you suggest he starts with, Gilbert?

Actually, I was thinking of the 5 or 6 colour-highlighted passages
within the page, corresponding to the conveniently-indexed sections
listed right at the top of the page, which point to some of the more
likely issues to be encountered with misconfigured MTA's.

But it looks like none of those were particularly relevant in this case...

> While you're mulling that over, I'll suggest something more helpful:
>
> http://forums.devshed.com/mail-server-help-111/gmail-responds-451-4-5-0-smtp-protocol-violation-568574.html
>
> Google's the one at fault here, the thread has a workaround from the
> postfix mailing list, and seems to have fixed the problem permanently.

See also: http://www.spamresource.com/2008/11/gmail-tempfailing.html

While browsing this site today, for totally different information, I
came across that entry.  Looks like sites running "an MTA that utilizes
pipelining aggressively" (Postfix is a likely one) are running into
this.  John, if the problem went away without you changing anything at
your end, it's possible Gmail tweaked something in response to
complaints from others.

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/