[RndTbl] Recommendations for a video card

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Tue Feb 19 23:15:48 CST 2008

Where you able to confirm anything official about ATI dropping Linux
support for older cards? I don't believe this to be the case.

I have a Mobility Radeon 9600 which broke on the (previous) most recent
ATI version but I assumed it was a bug that would be fixed in the next
release.

Your email reminded me to have a look and sure enough there is a release
on Feb 13 which I just installed and it works perfectly.

Not only does it fix the problem of X hanging at boot but it also fixed
a resolution problem. My laptop display is back to the super-sharp
resolution it used to be a few versions back.

However, there is still an annoying bug with the screen fade. When the
screen saver kicks in it is supposed to slowly fade to black but it
glitches instead. It causes no problems but it makes it look like the
display is broken.

John