[RndTbl] network problem

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Feb 15 09:08:31 CST 2008

On 02/14/2008 05:49 PM, Dan Martin wrote:
> Could a NIC 'partly' fail so that it can't accept an address by DHCP and
> will fail with some connections but not others?

Our experience has been that NICs can fail almost as frequently as hard
drives (particularly older ones seem to burn themselves out or
something).  They can also fail in unexpected ways.  We had one that did
the opposite of what you describe: it got its settings by DHCP (though
not without a lot of haggling back and forth), but then wouldn't work
consistently enough to allow a TCP connection to anything.  Probably an
extremely high error/retry rate.

Anyway, if you suspect the NIC, it's usually a fairly quick and easy fix
to install a new one and see if that clears up the problem.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/