[RndTbl] Moving from CRT to a HD LCD

Glen Ditchfield GJDitchfield at acm.org
Fri Dec 5 22:51:53 CST 2008

On Friday 05 December 2008 13:10:44 Montana Quiring wrote:
> I've been a (knopp)mythtv users for 3 years now.
> We are currently using:
> -27 inch Toshiba CRT TV
> -Houpauge PVR250 tuner
> -Canadian Shaw digital TV
> What we're planning on doing is upgrading to a large LCD TV. Probably this
> one: Sharp Aquos 1080p 42" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (LC42D65)
> http://tinyurl.com/sharpLC42D65

What inputs and outputs does your computer have?

In my case, I connect basic cable to a PVR-500 (equivalent to two PVR-250s),
and connect the component outputs of an nVidia 6100 to an HDTV.  I'm happy
with the result.  My TV is an older Sony CRT that does its own deinterlacing,
though; if the Sharp doesn't do that, you will want to turn that on in
MythTV.

(My situation is the complement of yours: I have an HDTV, but don't know how
to connect to or control a Shaw digital box.)

Ars technica just updated their HTPC builder's guide
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200812-htpc.ars
and a comment by Optical256, a Shaw Winnipeg customer, notes that "(most?)
STB's have a FireWire port outputting the unencrypted HD signal ... When I
called my cable company to ask about it they actually gave me useful answers
and said that the flag was currently set to enable FireWire output for all HD
channels except for TSN, but they also said they reserve the right to change
that at any time".