Duh: [RndTbl] FreeBSD 7 install -- help required!

Kevin McGregor kmcgregor at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:50:21 CDT 2008

Bonehead beginner mistake: It wasn't trying to boot off the 40 GB drive,
it was booting (or trying to) off the Seagate 750 GB drive. Yes, I
should have mentioned that -- I assumed I knew what I was doing. See, I
had the 40 GB drive on the IDE connector, which was showing up first in
FreeBSD's list of drives to install on, so I figured that was first in
the boot order too, which it wasn't according to the BIOS setting which
I eventually looked at. The other two drives are SATA 750 GBs. I
previously had no IDE hard drives in the system, so this didn't arise.

Sigh. Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry for dissing FreeBSD (if
anyone out there was offended)!

I can now SSH into the system.