[RndTbl] Fwd: Countdown to Ontario Linux Fest

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 5 10:25:20 CDT 2007

Just FYI...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Countdown to Ontario Linux Fest
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:40:49 -0400
From: Interlug Lists <interluglists at gmail.com>
To: lolug at googlegroups.com, mark at klug.ca, v.simon at ieee.org,
blab at users.sourceforge.net, membership at muug.mb.ca, admin at nslug.ns.ca

Hello LUG-gers!  Please post this to your mailing list and / or web
site!  Thank you.  We look forward to seeing you at Linux Fest in
October!

Cheers,
Richard and the gang.

Hello everybody,

The countdown is on to Ontario Linux Fest and we couldn't be more
excited.  Here's some news from inside the organizing committee.  Since
our last note we've added some speakers and topics, and a couple of
prominent sponsors.  And a bunch more of you have registered in advance
from our registration page at http://onlinux.ca/olfreg

All of that is awesome, because we need all of those pieces in place to
build Ontario Linux Fest.  We're just a touch over a month to the Fest,
so here are a few things that you need to know about.

Novell goes platinum at Ontario Linux Fest.
"Novell Canada has secured a key platinum sponsorship to further
demonstrate their commitment to GNU/Linux and Free Software," said, John
Van Ostrand of the organizing committee, "As members of the Open
Invention Network, patrons of KDE and sponsors of OpenSUSE (and dozens
of other F/LOSS contributions, Novell continues as community leaders."
We can't make Ontario Linux Fest a success without our sponsors and we
urge you to consider OLF sponsors when you are making purchasing
decisions.

Free your phone and your mind will follow.
We're very excited about the OpenMoko presentation at OLF.  The recent
splash made by a proprietary phone has only tilled the soil for an Open
computer-phone.  Or is that a phone-computer?  Or a media player?
You'll want to catch every minute of Ian Darwin's presentation on the
OpenMoko project to find out all the details on this cool bit of
embedded hardware.  We're still adding speakers as they confirm, so keep
an eye on the speakers page.  We can't make Ontario Linux Fest a success
without our speakers and the F/LOSS world is a better place for their
code and projects and other contributions.

Hotel room countdown
We have discounted group rates at two hotels near the venue.  If you are
joining us from out of town (or plan to stay late at the reception) you
can save by booking your room now.  The Radisson is right next door to
the venue and has given us a great price for their suites.  But book now
because they only offer the group rate until this Sunday 09 September.
The Doubletree is just across the street and the price for their rooms
is still good.  The Doubletree group rate is valid until Wednesday, 12
September.
http://onlinux.ca/hotel

Attendee registration is climbing
It is gratifying to see many of you registering in advance for Ontario
Linux Fest.  Attendance is climbing steadily and we know that it will
ramp-up steeply as we get closer to the event.  You can help us by
starting that ramp-up now.

There is no reason to hold Ontario Linux Fest without you.  It is the
community and the personalities and the networking that will make the
most lasting impressions on you at Ontario Linux Fest.  It is the
conjunction of the strong local community and the influx of visiting
regional and international enthusiasts that will make OLF shine.  We
look forward to seeing you at the event.  Register at
http://onlinux.ca/olfreg