[RndTbl] Remote connections to Macintoshes

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Wed Oct 3 16:06:56 CDT 2007

On 3-Oct-07, at 2:03 PM, Gilbert E. Detillieux wrote:

> On 2007-10-03 12:51, Colin Stanners wrote:
>> VNC is FOSS and very multi-platform (it has mac support, I haven't
>> heard complaints) and is what I use in many cases. There's a few
>> variants which are all interoptable...
>
> I was going to recommend the same thing.
>
>> In some cases I've seen delays and disconnects on some
>> router/computer combinations but I think that that may be a windows
>> networking stack bug in v4 of RealVNC. Possibly other variants such
>> as TightVNC/UltraVNC don't have this problem.
>
> Our Mac techie has installed OSXvnc (now called Vine Server for OS
> X, by Redstone Software, Inc., and available from their web site,
> or from sourceforge or freshmeat) on some of our Mac servers, and I
> haven't had any trouble accessing it using either RealVNC under
> Windows XP, or the Linux vncviewer command (both RealVNC 4.1.2, and
> an older att.com 3.3 version).

A VNC server is already installed by OSX.

Apple Remote Desktop uses a bastardized version of VNC, but it does
allow you to enable regular VNC.

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Services

Check Apple Remote Desktop

A Window will pop up for you to configure the Access Controls. One of
the options is 'VNC Viewers may control screen with password: ____"

That enables regular VNC connections with said password.

shawn