[RndTbl] Remote connections to Macintoshes

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 3 14:03:56 CDT 2007

On 2007-10-03 12:51, Colin Stanners wrote:
> VNC is FOSS and very multi-platform (it has mac support, I haven't
> heard complaints) and is what I use in many cases. There's a few
> variants which are all interoptable...

I was going to recommend the same thing.

> In some cases I've seen delays and disconnects on some
> router/computer combinations but I think that that may be a windows
> networking stack bug in v4 of RealVNC. Possibly other variants such
> as TightVNC/UltraVNC don't have this problem.

Our Mac techie has installed OSXvnc (now called Vine Server for OS X, by
Redstone Software, Inc., and available from their web site, or from
sourceforge or freshmeat) on some of our Mac servers, and I haven't had
any trouble accessing it using either RealVNC under Windows XP, or the
Linux vncviewer command (both RealVNC 4.1.2, and an older att.com 3.3
version).

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail: <gedetil at muug.mb.ca>
Manitoba UNIX User Group	Web:	http://www.muug.mb.ca/